Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Help Wanted: Moms not need apply

by Barb
I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years. Since both of my children (ages 7 and 10) are in school full time, I decided I would go back to work and help get my family in a better financial position. I just didn't realize how hard that would be.

Many jobs only pay minimum wage. If I have to pay for child care, that would eat up my entire paycheck. Many jobs want me to work overnights or second shift. My husband already works second shift. We still have two children to raise so that is out of the question.

Whenever I have a shot at a job and get to talk to someone, the fact that I have not worked out of the home in 10 years seems to send many of the hiring managers running. Never mind that I ran my own in-home child care service for most of those 10 years. That doesn't seem to matter!

I sometimes feel like I am worthless in the paying job category. The funds from a second income would get us out of the debt we are in and help with home repairs, car repairs, credit card debt, food, etc. I sometimes feel like we are drowning; slowly.

It's quite frustrating trying to get a job after being home with my children. I feel like I am being penalized for taking care of my family. But I am still looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment