Sunday, December 4, 2011

Craft Corner: Mod Podge

My love affair with Mod Podge started in high school art class with Mrs. Sonnenberg. This super sticky crafting glue is an essential addition in every crafting arsenal. Mod Podge is a glue that does everything and my favorite choice for finishing projects.

Why use a specialty glue?


Glue is not just glue. Okay, it sounds a bit over the top, but really folks. When you need to glue something to something else you need to take several things into consideration.
  1. What type of material is being glued?
  2. What is it being attached to?
  3. How long do you want this binding to hold?
  4. How much do you care about the presentation?
  5. What is your level of expertise in the gluing field?
Yeah, I said expertise in the gluing field. Glue is serious business, people!!!

Maybe I am going a little overboard, but I don't think by much. Think about this: the handle on your favorite mug just broke off. Do you a) throw it out and buy a new one, b) reach for the bottle of school glue in your child's book bag and hope for the best, or c) open your stash of glues and find the Gorilla Glue, so you know that it will stay together?

I know glue, because I use it! As a scrapbook girl that also loves decoupage, I need a glue that won't rip my paper/page, that won't dry looking like an ocean. There are so many things that I need my glue to do and not to do. Hence, my love affair with Mod Podge.

I've use it as finish for a papier-mâché puppet, for decoupage projects, to make tissue paper window clings, as a sealer for a  hand-bound scrapbook, wooden crafts and crafted ornaments.

I've stuck to the original formula for all my projects thus far, but Plaid has come out with a whole bunch of new Mod Podge that is specially made for fabric, puzzles and outdoor use. Along with a bunch of different finishes for your projects like glow-in-the-dark, glitter, gloss, matte or hard finish (check out the Formula Guide for a full list). I know that I need to check a couple of those out (especially puzzle and hard finish).

So, I need to say this - please experiment! but, please, please, please learn the correct way to use your crafting projects. You are putting a lot of effort and money into making these wonderful projects - don't screw it up by misusing products. Check out Plaid Online - Mod PodgeMod Podge Rocks Blog and Plaid Craft Blog for ideas and how-to guides for Mod Podge.



1 comment:

  1. Totally agree! The right glue for the right application, just like paint. I wouldn't use MP on everything, but . . . close! :D

    ReplyDelete